The National Shoora Council is an accord of Muslim organizations, movements, eminent personnel, and regional representatives in Sri Lanka who together shall be inspired and guided by the Qur’an and the Sunnah in its aims, policies, procedures and actions within the framework of the laws of Sri Lanka.
- It is a collective independent body working for the pleasure of Allah to promote consultation, cooperation and coordination within the Muslim community as well as amongst the communities in Sri Lanka.
- It is a broad-based, representative body of Muslims in Sri Lanka, accommodating and reflecting nationally the variety of social and cultural backgrounds, views, practices and outlook of the community.
- It is a body that will base its policies and decisions on shoora or consensus and the largest practicable measure of common agreement.
- It is a formally constituted body with a system of representation and accountability.
- It is a body that will seek to draw on the talents and specialist skills of individuals and the strengths of organized bodies to meet the great challenges in preparing the case for, and advocating, the responsibilities, safeguarding the rights and obligations of Muslims of Sri Lanka.
Aims and Objectives
- To stand united to defend the unity, integrity, and sovereignty of the motherland.
- To promote cooperation, consensus and unity on Muslim affairs.
- To encourage and contribute towards nation building, social security, sustainable development and enforcement of the rule of law in Sri Lanka.
- To work towards creating a better understanding of Islam and Muslims in the multi ethnic and pluralistic society of Sri Lanka.
- To work towards safeguarding and ensuring the rights of the Muslims.
- To work for the eradication of inequity and all forms of discrimination.
- To foster inter-community and inter-religious relations and work towards peace, co-existence and ethnic harmony.
- To foster consultation, cooperation and coordination with stake holders on matters pertaining to the general well-being, development and progress of the community and the country.
- To intervene in issues and situations that may adversely affect the Muslims and/or the country.